The Public Housing Program, under the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, including persons with disabilities.
Eligibility is determined by:
1) Annual gross income. Income limits vary from town to town and county to county!
2) Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family
3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.
You will be asked to provide references, which will be checked, to make sure you and your family will be good tenants.
How DO I Apply?
If you are interested in applying for public housing, contact your local HA.
HUD also addresses these questions:
1. As a person with a disability, what are my housing rights? What are my rights as they relate to HUD Public Housing?
2. What kind of housing assistance is available to persons with disabilities?
3. I feel I may have experienced housing discrimination because of my disability. What can I do?
A directory of OK Public Housing Authority offices is here.