What You Need to Know: Going to College

There are countless online resources for students with disabilities choosing college and we share some important resources here.  But here is what we want you to know first:

In Oklahoma, a college is a two year campus where you can earn an associates degree or an applied associates degree in science.  We call these community colleges.

A university, private or public, is where you can earn a bachelors degree as well as graduate degrees like law, social work or medicine.

Career technology centers do not offer college degrees.  They may provide college level coursework as part of an agreement they hold with a community college.

OKCollegeStart.org is an interactive website for students and parents to learn about higher education in OK as well as career and salary overviews and specific degree programs.

The National Council on Learning Disabilities provides a checklist for students with disabilities heading off to college.

The US Department of Education offers a tipsheet on students with disabilities rights in post-secondary settings.

Approximately 4,000 students with disabilities each year attend OK colleges and universities!  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *